"Letelier encompass orchestrated transformations of minerals alongside extensive landscape research "
Inspired by juxtaposed historical contexts, Letelier’s drawings, installations, videos and sculptures encompass orchestrated transformations of minerals alongside extensive research into the landscapes where their exploitation and speculation take place.
Michelle-Marie Letelier spent her early life in Chuquicamata, the world’s largest open-pit copper mine located in the Atacama Desert in Chile. When, due to environmental contamination and rising fuel costs, the town was to be buried, Letelier returned to document this process—a pivotal moment that ushered in her practice.
Since then, Letelier has been exploring commodity compounds, their properties and energy productions, enabling situations in which the basic structures are carefully combined and led by physical methods into significant states or applied directly into her drawings.
The work of Michelle-Marie Letelier carries heavy socio-political overtones; it is eloquently reflective especially in times of unveiled globalization, the increasing scarcity of raw materials and the crisis of the neoliberal model.
|Who||Michelle-Marie Letelier||Born||Chile, 1977|
- Selected Solo Exhibitions:
- 2016 UNPREDICTABLE ATLAS, Tête, Berlin, Germany
- 2014 CALICHE WINDS, El Museo de Los Sures, New York, USA
- 2012 DOOMED SCAPE, Perlini Arte Gallery, Padua, Italy
- 2009 DIE FEINFÜHLIGEZONE, Die Ecke Gallery, Santiago, Chile
- 2005 MOMENTS, School of Arts salon, UNIACC / DESCENSO, Espacio-G Gallery, Valparaíso, Chile
- 2004 ERASE, BECH Gallery, Santiago. CODELCO Borough Building, Calama, Chile
- Selected Group Exhibitions:
Awards and Scholarships (selection)
- 2014 Berliner Senate Global Cultural Exchange Grant, Berlin-NYC / Exhibition Funding Program, Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen (IFA), Stuttgart, Germany
- 2012 ORA Award, Venice-Padua, Italy
- 2010 Goldrausch Künstlerinnenprojekt Art IT, Berlin, Germany
- 1999 Plástica UC (First Award), Pontificia Universidad Católica, Santiago, Chile