Małgorzata Dawidek’s artistic interests are located between literature and visual arts. The artist deals with the language aspect of communication – the relationship between words and their images and designata. From this viewpoint Dawidek analyses issues of language awareness, borders and possibilities of language, as well as the human body perceived as a “reality text”.
Dawidek combines a wide range of media in her projects – textual objects and installations, painting, animation, photographs, written drawings and hypertexts in galleries and public spaces.
Dawidek’s latest project is a three-dimensional, non-linear textual-visual “story within a story”. With the help of the body of the text, the artist talks about corporeality understood as a continuous narrative, a text in process. The “novel” has assumed the form of a 3D map of the body, across which the viewer (reader) may travel, choosing their own route among 25 room-chapters describing limitations, emotionality, language and the behaviour of the body.
|Who||Małgorzata Dawidek||Born||Poland, 1976|
- -[October-November] Składaki / Fold-ups - Wrocław Contemporary Museum, Wrocław
- -[May] Krótka Historia Przypadku / Short Story of a Chance – Gallery of Częstochowa City.
- -[April-May] te[k]sty / te[k]sts, Foksal Gallery, Warsaw
- -[Feb-March] Errata, Muzalewska Gallery, Poznan
- -[June-August] Krótka Histori Przypadku / Short Story of a Chance - Ha!art Gallery, Krakow
- -[April] Goodbye, see you tomorrow, AT Gallery, Poznan
Awards and Scholarships (selection)
- 2012 – The Ministry of Art and National Heritage Scholarship Młoda Polska/Yang Poland
- 2010 – National Cultural Centre Award given for the best doctoral dissertation
- 2010 – 1st Award in the Stanisław Grochowiak Polish Poetry Competition
- 2010 – The Ministry of Art and National Heritage Scholarship
- 2007-2008 – Scholarship of the Minister of Science and Information /Germany, UK
- 2005 – The President of Poznań Artistic Scholarship
- 2005 – Polish-American Poet Academy Award
- 2004-2005 The Pollock-Krasner Foundation Artistic Scholarship
- 2001–2002 – The Ministry of Art and National Heritage Scholarship
- 2000 – The Rector of Academy of Fine Arts in Poznań Scholarship