Jaime de la Jara
"Paraphrasing Frank Stella, "things are as they seem, but for me they are not as they seem...""
For him people are like a reflection of what is happening around them and their habitat is their own image. This explains his interest in reproducing elements from our environment that both portray what we are and capture the traces left behind by moments.
These reproductions serve to then generate a transgression in the space where they are displayed in order to give a new meaning to the objects reproduced.
For example, the installation "Drama Work Shop", set up in an old disused prison, deals with places of imprisonment and isolation. Using several texts by Samuel Beckett, the artist plays with the idea of contradiction and transforming space by inviting viewers to enter an unreal place of imprisonment to serve a voluntary sentence. "Drama Work Shop" takes its name from a theatre company set up by an ex-prisoner, the San Quintin Drama Workshop. The company's founder, Rick Cluchey, was also a friend of Samuel Beckett.
|Who||Jaime de la Jara||Born||Spain, 1972|
|What||Artist||Artisticname||Jaime de la Jara|
- The Skin, Filomena Soares Gallery, Lisbon, Portugal
- Filomena Soares Gallery, The Armory Show. New York, USA
- Eight extraordinary spatial issues, Tabacalera Espacio Promoción de Arte, Madrid, Spain
- Coca-Cola Foundation Collection, Casino de la Exposición, Sevilla, Spain
- Arquitectura inadvertida, MACA de Alicante, Spain
- Art Situacions, MEIAC, Badajoz, Spain
- Celeste Art Prize, Musei Capitolini Centrale Montemartini, Roma, Italy
- 5 Muestra de Arte Iberoamericano, CC de España, Ciudad de México DF, Mexico
- Bienal Purificación García Photo Art Prize, Círculo de Bellas Artes, Madrid, Spain
- “The Navel” - Solo Show, Galería Fúcares, Madrid, Spain, 2010
- “Lie” - Solo Show, Centro de Arte Tecla Sala, L'Hospitalet de Llobregat-Barcelona, Spain, 2009
Awards and Scholarships (selection)
- Art-Ex grant. AECID, Government of Spain
- Esteban Vicente Grant, Yaddo Corporation Residency, New York, USA
- Pollock-Krasner Foundation Grant, New York, USA
- Neinver Public Sculpture Prize, Madrid, Spain
- AECID/FONCA/CONACULTA Residency, Mexico
- International Celeste Art Prize, Roma, Italy
- Bienal Purificación García Photo Art Prize, Spain
- Fundación Joan Miró - Pilar Juncosa / Suplantacions, Mallorca, Spain
- ABC - Vocento Art Prize
- Art creation Prize, Comunidad de Madrid, Spain
- “GENERACIÓN 2005” y “GENERACIÓN 2006”, Premios y becas de arte Caja Madrid, Honor mention, Madrid, Spain