"I am interested in the way that women have been seen and portrayed across centuries."
She graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Gdańsk with a MA degree in painting and is currently pursuing a doctorate degree at the Academy of Fine Arts in Kraków.
She works in the fields of painting, drawing, installation and animation.
"My work is criminal in nature. It relies on borrowing, I freely draw on the resources of the visual culture. I am interested in recycling history. By means of transformation, fragmentation and recontextualisation of the selected portraits, I intend to build a new narrative. I want to redefine them using my own language that will replace the traditional language of the piece.
I am particularly interested in the way that women have been seen and portrayed across centuries. I explore the phenomenon of transgression, understood as crossing the boundaries of aesthetic norms and canons of picturing women, as well as the social and cultural expectations regarding their image, seen from the perspective of the history. I also aim to analyse and question the classical canons of beauty. I intend to stretch and redefine the boundaries between gender relations."
|Who||Ewa Juszkiewicz||Born||Poland, 1984|
|Tel||+48 694 207 email@example.com|
DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONEPainting
- 2012 Rosamunda, Princess of Cyprus (solo show), Centrum Gallery, CKK, Katowice
- 2011 Beautiful Weather, Foksal Gallery Fundation, Warsaw
- 2011 How Come There is a Teddy Bear in the Picture(solo show), Otwarta Pracownia, Kraków
- 2011 40th Painting Biennale Bielska Jesień, Bielsko-Biała
- 2011 Draught, 3rd Young Art Festival, Szczecin
- 2011 Believe in Ghost, Kordegarda Gallery, Warsaw
Awards and Scholarships (selection)
- 2011 ‘Format’ art magazine’s award at the Draught, 3rd Young Art Festival, Szczecin
- 2011 ‘Art&Businness‘ magazine’s award at the 40th Painting Biennale Bielska Jesień, Bielsko-Biała
- 2011 Scholarship of the Marshal of Pomorskie Voivodeship
- 2010 3rd Award in the multimedia category at the 2nd Multimedia Szajna Festival, Rzeszów, Poland
- 2010 Finalist of the 2nd Polish Short Film Festival ‘Short Waves 2010’. Screenings in in Berlin, Dublin & London
- 2010 Nomination for the ‘Storms 2009’ Award in the Visual Arts Category