I explore the underlying psychological patterns of urban landscapes, particularly places that for one reason or another do not follow conventional logic. These vary from cities that went far from their original function, to sparsely inhabited (but not abandoned) areas to utopian architectures.
My working process involves visiting these places and documenting aspects of their everyday life that affects them in subtle – yet striking – ways. I continue by creating physical interventions in these landscapes that, at first glance, appear to emerge naturally from the place’s way of life. Since 2011, I have applied this working process to areas in China, Israel, Greece, UK and Japan.
Each project culminates in a publication and installation in which both the existing and the modified environments are represented. These combine photography, video, and text, often in conjunction with altered reconstructions of the original cityscapes.
|Activity||Artist Residency S-AIR||Web||http://andischmied.com/|
- LATEST SOLO SHOWS
- 2016· Noguchi Town, TRAPEZ, Budapest, HU
- 2015· On Sleeping- image and text, salon cojica, Sapporo, JPN
- 2015· Noguchi Town - a town for the town, HUG, Sapporo, JPN
- 2015· Jing Jin City, Galerie Klubovna, Brno, CZ
- 2015· AIR-show, dordtYart, Dordrecht, NL
- 2015· Jing Jin City, Daniel Blau Gallery, London, UK
- 2014· State of Limbo, OUTPOST, Norwich, UK
- LATEST GROUP SHOWS
Awards and Scholarships (selection)
- 2015· Residency at S-AIR, via Curators Network, Sapporo, Japan (3 months)
- 2015· Pecsi Jozsef Photography Grant, HU
- 2015· Residency at dortdYart, Dordrecht, NL (3 months)
- 2014· Residency OUTPOST Gallery, Norwich, UK (6 weeks)
- 2014· Winner at Daniel Blau Gallery’s 5 UNDER 30 competition