A reflection on how relative memory, forgetting and perception are is the point of departure for my drawings and sculptures. They are on the borderline between material imperfection of reality and how it is being saved in our memory. I am looking for a detachment from what we take for granted and ordinary and what leads me to a more precise observation of reality. And it is indeed in pleats, corners and layers upon layers of everyday that I look for what is often subconscious.
It is my urge to create works that make viewers aware of their mental and physical presence. I want to touch their memories and bring them outside a routine perception. My sculptures and drawings are driven by the fascination of the expanding associations. I perceive them as shuffled fragments taken out of reality, cuttings, cross-sections of layers of memories and material everyday reality.
|Who||Alicja Bielawska||Born||Poland, 1980|
- Solo exhibitions
- 2012 Adopted Shapes / Przybrane kształty, Arsenał Gallery, Białystok, PL
- 2010 The Revolutions of Things / Obroty rzeczy, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, PL
- 2010 We Don’t Think Enough About Staircases, Kunstenaarsinitiatief Paraplufabriek, Nijmegen, NL
- 2010 I feel I forgot something. I think you remember too much. / Mam poczucie, że o czymś zapomniałam. Myślę, że za dużo pamiętasz, Czarna Gallery, Warsaw, PL
- 2010 The Mountains - grow unnoticed, Teto Projects, Amsterdam, NL
- Selected group exhibitions
- 2012 Confetti Generation. Polly’s Picture Show. Vondelparkpaviljoen, Amsterdam, NL
Awards and Scholarships (selection)
- 2012 - 2013 Startstipendium, Mondriaan Fonds, NL
- 01 - 06. 2012 Scholarship, Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland
- 2009 Nomination Beeldende Kunst Aanmoedigingsprijs, Gerrit Rietveld Academie, Amsterdam, NL