Alejandra Avilés, born in Cajeme, Sonora, Mexico in 1989. Her work start reflecting on relations that emerge from disassembling the desert field. In the first half of the twentieth century acres of vegetation was torn up in the Valleys of the Sonoran Desert (northwest Mexico) to prepare the soil for agriculture. Her work unfold narratives of this period and her imaginary have place in this expose environments. Exploring with materials, she can build large scale installations or make subtle gestures in the space. The animal and the human, poison and earth, heat and darkness, are concepts she continues to develope in her projects.
|Activity||Encura research residency||Web||alejandraaviles.com|
- Solo Shows
- 2016 Con v de vuelta, Proyecto Vitrina Arredondo Arrozarena Gallery. Mexico City, MX.
- 2016 Americana, Parallel Oaxaca in Solo Swab, Swab Art Fair, Barcelona, SP.
- 2015 Oscurana, Bikini Wax in Mexico City, MX.
- 2012 Paradise, Curated by Alán Sierra. TRAMA Guadalajara, MX.
- 2011 Sentido Inverso, House of Culture of Hermosillo, MX.
Awards and Scholarships (selection)
- 2016 Bar tool #0, Bar project formation program, Barcelona, SP.
- 2016 Hangar, Long stay residency, Barcelona, SP.
- 2014 FONCA, Fondo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes, MX.
- 2012 IAM, International Art Moves. Granada, SP.
- 2011 Operador de Arte, Encounter for emerging artist of the Northwest of Mexico.
- 2011 Honorific mention on the 13th Biennial of the Northwest of Mexico.