International meetings to discover the emerging cultural scene in each country
Call closed. The jury will gather on June 4.
Hablar en Arte launches an open call to select three european art professionals for three-week-residencies in Madrid. They consist of a tailor-made tour, designed to meet the specific Spanish and Madrid-based contemporary artists, that best match with specific interests of each resident.
During their stay in Spain, the residents will be accompagnied and supported by local curators and cultural managers and are invited to give a short public conference at Matadero Madrid in which they present themselves, their organization and their project to the local art community.
Back in their home-countries, the residents will develop a cultural project that includes artists and art-projects they have come to know during their stay in Spain. Each of the residencies will have a duration of three weeks. Each applicant can choose among the following months:
- August 2012
- September 2012
- October 2012
Documentation, Submission Procedure and Timeline
Projects must be submitted till May 31 , 2012 to:
Each participant must submit the following documents:
- A brief biography (700 characters max.)
- A resume of the presented project and a description of what would be the specific interests of the applicant during the residency (700 characters max.)
- A project dossier in PDF format that includes proof of feasability (max. 2,5 Mb)
- A dossier in PDF format containing a summary of past projects (max. 2,5 Mb)
- A scanned document in JPG format, attesting the viability of the project (eg. letters of confirmation of the entities or persons involved, institutional support, performance spaces, sponsorships, etc.).. (max. 0,5 Mb) As a freelance curator you might find it difficult to give such a confirmation. In this case, just upload a short writing in which you self-confirm your compromise with the project (field cannot be left in blank).
- All texts should be submitted in English.The scanned documents can be submitted in other languages.
Terms and Conditions
- The contest is open to all European art professionals that do not live and work in Spain.
- The open call seeks especially for participants who do not yet have a consolidated international career, as one of the primary goals of Curators’ Network is to gather art-professionals who are still not well known in a larger European context.
- Each applicant must submit a CV and a dossier on a project that has not yet been realized and that should pretend to include Spanish or Spain-based artists or art-related proposals. This could for example be an exhibition or book projects as well as press or networking initiatives. Selection will be mainly based on the quality of this dossier.
- The feasability of the project should be endorsed as best as possible, for example through confirmation letters of involved entities or personalities. As a freelance curator you might find it difficult to give such a confirmation. In this case, just upload a short writing in which you self-confirm your compromise with the project (field cannot be left in blank).
- Applicants may submit their solicitude individually or collectively (in the latter case, a representative of the group should be designated).
- Three projects will be chosen out of all those submitted.
- There is no age limit and participation is free of charge.
- The residency covers the use of a flat in the neighbourhood of Legazpi, in the surroundings of Matadero Madrid and the travel cost (inbound and outbound) to the European country of residence. Each resident receives 500 Euros to cover other travels and daily expenses.
- Quality, coherence, innovation and originality of the presented project
- Feasibility of realization of the project
- Suitability of the project in light of the contest’s purpose
- Professional background of the participant/s
The jury will consist of members of Hablar en Arte, Matadero Madrid centro de creación contemporánea and AC/E. Its decision will be conclusive.
Acceptance of Contest Terms
Participation in this contest implies full acceptance of these terms.